How to Complain
Had enough of being discriminated against?
Use Pesky People’s top tips on how to make a great complaint.
- Make a note of the facts of your complaint.
- If you can take pictures or video, use your mobile phone (provides great evidence).
- Complain using audio, video or letter – what ever is best for you.
- If a company employee has been discriminatory – if you can ask/find out their name and position.
- What would you like them to do? Be specific about what you want.
- Find out who deals with complaints in the company, obtain a name and address.
- Request their Complaints Policy they should have one). Do they have an Equalities Policy? Disability Policy? Ask for that too.
- In your complaint tell them that you want a response in the format accessible for you. For Example email, Braille, audio, BSL video. They MUST provide it as requested. If not they are breaking the DDA.
- Mention the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 and Consumer protection – The Sales of Goods Act Consumer Direct can help with this.
- Provide them with fourteen working days to respond (excluding Saturday and Sundays). They have legal obligation to reply in that time.
Fobbed off – take it further:
- Send a second complaint (by recorded delivery) to the CEO of the company – go to the top.
- Shame them publicly – upload your complaints onto Pesky People’s Hot or Not or through our Forum [add link]
- Post messages on Facebook, Bebo, Twitter,, Bebo, Youtube etc. You have spending power take it away from them.
- Contact your local press radio, tv station
- Make a complaint to The Equalities and Human Rights Commission. They will tell you your legal rights as a Disabled person.
Other agencies who can support you include: