Digital Discrimination

Pesky People is a campaign to highlight discrimination against Disabled and Deaf people to websites. It is a direct response to Digital Britain the British government’s digital strategy fails to address accessibility in regards to digital content, websites, equipment being accessible for Disabled and Deaf people.

Pesky People is run by Disabled and Deaf people.

Digital Britain views access as getting people online and having broadband access. No mention of websites having to be accessible – so that is all right then?

Why is it important?

  • Less that 1% of websites are fully accessible for Disabled and Deaf people. What about the other 99%?
  • 15% of the UK population can be defined as Disabled according to the Disability Discrimination Act.

This means means that Disabled and Deaf people

  • have difficulty navigating around a website
  • cannot read the text on the site (nor to increase it or change the colour contrast they prefer)
  • cannot fully watch the videos because of deafness (no subtitles or British Sign Language Interpretation
  • cannot see the videos because they are not audio described
  • cannot listen to radio programmes or audio content (no transcripts)
  • cannot read due to dyslexia or learning disabilities
  • website are not compatible with screen readers
  • cannot shop around and compare prices to get the best deal and miss out in shopping, insurance, banking and leisure opportunities. – because the website is not accessible.

Many websites say they are accessible when they are not.

Did you know

  • 2005 the UN declared access to the internet a basic human right?
  • 15% of the total population can be defined as being disabled – that is approximately 4,092,000 people and their families affected by inaccessible digital content;
  • Annually Disabled and Deaf people contribute £50 billion to the economy – we have serious spending power. Ignore us at your peril.
  • Research shows that Disability is the main cause of digital exclusion. The Oxford Internet Surveys (investigates digital exclusion and Inclusion
  • Only 41% of people with a health related problem or disability use the internet compared with 75% of those without.
  • Digital Britain the British government’s digital strategy prioritises  access as getting people online and having broadband access. No mention of websites having to be accessible to use – so that is all right then?
Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Find out more about website accessibility and how to take control of your browser »